- Business 101 - Oct
October 20, 2018
10:45 am - 4:00 pm
Ever wondered how to set up a business? How about what happens if your team splits up half way through a project? And what about VAT, accounts, or tax returns? You don’t have to bother with them, surely?! Also, what’s the meaning of life?
Answers to most of these questions will be covered in this half-day workshop by Kevin Murphy from RetroNeo Games Ltd. This workshop will help you stay legally compliant while saving money as a creative startup business. Last year’s workshop sold out fast so don’t miss out!
The workshop is aimed primarily at creative businesses like game developers, performers, musicians, or artists, though the vast majority of the workshop would apply to any small to medium early stage or startup businesses, whether they’re in creative fields or not.
The workshop will cover the following:
* annual tax returns
* registering (or not) for VAT and doing those returns
* accounting, either yourself or with a professional
* contract law
* Limited (Ltd) companies
* what’s allowable as expenses
* intellectual property, copyright, and trademark
* selling online
The goal is that everyone will leave with at least a basic understanding of these areas.
In addition, attendees will be given:
* a handout of the key takeaways summarised for their future use
* a short list of recommended accountants and solicitors
* a set of bookkeeping templates on Google Sheets, suitable for keeping track of their accounts and VAT returns on an ongoing basis.
There will be two two-hour blocks of super-fun-learning with a one hour lunch in the middle. We’re on Dawson Street in Dublin City Centre, so you have no shortage of tasty treats to choose from to fill your bellies.
The venue will be a room in the IBAT building on Dawson St, just down from Hodges Figgis book shop.
See you there!
“I came out of the class feeling a lot less intimidated by the idea of starting a business.” – Andrew
“Essential business info for the indie game developer” – Emile